EXPLORE THE ARTS, AND EXPRESS YOURSELF!
All TJMS students are encouraged to participate in the TJMS PTA Reflections Arts Contest. Remember: we are all artists!
- 2021-2022 TJMS PTA Reflections Winners
- About Reflections
- Student Recognition
- Entry Form and Requirements
- How to Enter
Last updated Feb. 4, 2022
We’re pleased to recognize those students who participated in the 2021-2022 TJMS PTA Reflections Arts Contest! The 2021-2022 Reflections competition theme is: “I Will Change the World By…”
The following students all received the top prize in their respective arts categories for the TJMS competition – the Outstanding Interpretation of the Theme Award. They also advanced to the county-level competition and received the following Arlington County Reflections awards:
- Cate LaGarde, 7 – “Stand Up” – Outstanding Interpretation of the Theme Award, Dance Category
- Alaina Szeto, 8 – “A Seed of Kindness” – Award of Excellence, Music Category
- Sami Wiriyotin, 6 – “Rainbow Perseverence” – Award of Excellence, Photography Category
- Lily Snider, 6 – “How We Can Change the World” – Award of Merit, Film/Video Category
- Eva Torrico, 8 – “Anything Can Be Change” – Award of Merit, Visual Arts Category
- Nareh Wilson, 6 – “Being” – Award of Merit, Writing Category
Having received the top prize for the Dance category at the school, Arlington County and Northern Virginia District levels, Cate LaGarde now advances to the Virginia state-level Reflections competition – good luck, Cate!
Additionally, we’re pleased to announce that the following TJMS students received Awards of Excellence in the school-level competition:
- Preontee Barua, 7 – “Awareness to Build Unity”
- Rose Burns, 6 – “Madison House”
- Sharon Cabrera, 8 – “I Want to Change the World by”
- Theo Fusarelli, 7 – Untitled
- Wren Gable, 6 – “Speak for Those Without a Voice”
- Olive Goyette, 6 – “Kindness Mirror”
- Catherine Kelly, 6 – “Infinite Vision”
- Sujoy Sarker, 7 – “Kindness Is Everything”
And the following students received Awards of Merit in the school-level competition:
- Noujail Benabdelaziz, 6 – “Autumn Has Arrived”
- Radhika Bhatnagar, 6 – “Imagine”
- Kelly Duarte, 7 – “The Desired World”
- Kaya Gadhia, 6 – “Guiding to Freedom”
- Annika Haney, 6 – Untitled
- Daniel Reid Brady, 6 – “One Small Change”
- Lindsay Sanchez, 8 – Untitled
Congratulations to all TJMS students! To get a look at all of this year’s entries, access the 2021-2022 TJMS PTA Reflections video.
For more than 50 years, the National PTA organization has offered its Reflections art contest to provide opportunities for student recognition and access to the arts that boost student confidence and success. The TJMS PTA is pleased to offer this program for the 2021-2022 school year and has lined up a panel of qualified judges from within our local community with expertise in their respective categories to evaluate this year’s student entries.
Students express themselves around the required theme through one of the following arts categories:
- Dance Choreography
- Film / Video Production
- Literature / Creative Writing
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts (which includes art forms such as drawing, painting, print making, collage, 3D artworks)
Students with disabilities who receive services under IDEA or ADA: Section 504 may also enter under the Special Artist Division to have the opportunity and accommodations they may need in order to participate fully in the program.
All students participating in the TJMS Reflections competition have a chance to win prizes for each of the entry categories. Participating students also receive recognition by the school and the TJMS PTA via certificate of participation, a Reflections art display in the school building, TJMS morning announcements, PTA communications and other potential means.
The TJMS PTA thanks our 2021-2022 Reflections sponsors – Plaza Art and Monarca In Flight Aerial Arts Studio – which have donated prizes for this year’s TJMS Reflections competition!
Competitors from our local-level TJMS contest also will have the opportunity to move up and compete at the Arlington County, Northern Virginia District, Virginia and National levels. Competitors who reach the National PTA level have the opportunity to win:
- Award of Excellence: $200 Young Artist Scholarship; Silver Medal; Certificate of Excellence; Work featured in the traveling exhibition
- Outstanding Interpretation Award: $800 Young Artist Scholarship; Gold Medal; Certificate of Outstanding Interpretation; Work featured in the traveling exhibition; $200 Prize for Local PTA Unit
Students and parents should review the documents in this section to ensure that all requirements are met prior to entering the contest.
- Dance Choreography Category Rules: English | Spanish (the Spanish form has been requested from the Virginia PTA)
- Film / Video Production Category Rules: English | Spanish
- Literature / Creative Writing Category Rules: English | Spanish
- Music Composition Category Rules: English | Spanish
- Photography Category Rules: English | Spanish
- Visual Arts Category Rules: English | Spanish
- Students must download the Reflections entry form in English or Spanish above, or pick up a paper entry form outside Ms. Detweiler’s office.
- When filling out the entry form, only fill out the student information section; do not alter the pre-filled PTA section at the top of the form.
- The form must be hand-signed by both the student and a parent/guardian. When the form is completed and signed, take a photo of it; this is the final version of the entry form that the student should submit during the entry process.
- To submit the student’s contest entry, choose only ONE of the following methods:
- For entries with smaller file sizes, the student or parent/guardian should text or email the entry form and digital artwork together in a single message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the student’s name, TA team and grade in the email subject line. (Note: The combined attachment file size must be within 10 MB to select this option.)
- For entries with larger file sizes, the student or parent/guardian should upload the entry form and digital artwork together via the TJMS PTA Reflections Entry Form. [the form is now closed] (Note: The user must be logged into a Google account in order to select this option.)
- As another option for entries with larger file sizes that does not require a Google account – The student or parent/guardian should upload the entry form and digital artwork together in a single message using the WeTransfer file delivery website. For the “Email to” field, type email@example.com, and in the “Title” field, type the student’s name, TA team and grade.
- NOTE: If the format of the student’s original artwork is NOT digital, then the student must submit a digital photo of the original hardcopy artwork along with the entry form during the online entry process, as a visual reference for the judges.
- NOTE: Any artwork originally created in hardcopy format must be submitted to the office of Ms. Detweiler, the TJMS PTA Reflections teacher liaison, to be saved for potential use at future contest stages. (For example, the county-level competition will require hardcopy submissions.)
If none of the above entry submission options work, or to ask other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.