You’re Invited to TJMS International Night!
Last updated April 30, 2022
Did you know that International Night, Jefferson’s annual celebration of world cultures, has been a school tradition for more than 20 years? After a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic, this event will return for the enjoyment of the entire community on Friday, April 29, 2022, from 5:30-8:00 p.m. – we hope to see you there! (Ver esta página en español)
At this annual Jefferson celebration, you’ll be able to buy a delicious meal from one of our food trucks – Q2 Taste of the Pacific (Filipino), Saté Truck (Indonesian), Tacos El Torito 2 (Mexican/Central American) and Kona Ice (shaved ice) – as well as sample FREE desserts from different cultures, play international games, and enjoy music and dances from around the world performed by students and community members on stage.
Call for TJMS Parent Volunteers: How you can help:
- Tell a friend! Download and share our 2022 digital flyer: English PDF | Spanish PDF | Mongolian PDF
- Sign up for a shift to help with the food tables or game areas during the event
(this signup is now closed)
Jefferson parents will also be donating cookies and other dessert treats representing different cultures, including Armenia, England, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Peru, Turkey and Scotland – and even the classic American chocolate chip cookie! – all free of charge to attendees.
For more than 20 years, International Night has served to bring our local community together to celebrate and appreciate the many wonderful cultures that are a part of Thomas Jefferson Middle School.
Friday, April 29, 2022, 5:30-8:00 p.m.
(Raindate: Friday, May 13)
The 2022 TJMS International Night will be held outside Thomas Jefferson Middle School (TJMS), on the back side of the school immediately adjacent to the Jefferson Garden and the Jefferson Soccer Fields (closest to the Upper Field). View the site map.
Everyone in our TJMS community! All Jefferson students and their families, as well as teachers and staff, are invited to come out and enjoy the evening together. Also invited are families at nearby elementary schools Fleet, Randolph, Long Branch, Drew and Hoffman Boston, as well as other neighbors living near the school.
The following performance schedule is subject to change. The stage performances will be held between 5:30-8:00 p.m. with short breaks in between.
- Welcome – TJMS Principal Keisha Boggan
- TJMS Orchestra students, performing five songs: Moonlight Tango, Midnight Tango, Airiang (Korea), Noche de Estrellas (Mexico), Banuwa (West Africa)
- TJMS Jazz Band students, performing three songs: St. Thomas (Calypso/Afro-Caribbean style), Georgia on my Mind, Now’s the Time
- Students of local musician Khatanbold Urlagbaatar, performing two traditional Mongolian songs on the horsehead fiddle, or morin-khuur, a traditional Mongolian bowed stringed instrument with strings of horsehair.
- TJMS student fashion show, featuring traditional costumes from Mongolia and Afghanistan
- Carolina Hernández and members of the GET Dance (Global Expressions Through Dance) Company, performing dances from Colombia, India, Brazil and Middle East
- Prakriti Dance – classical dance from India
The TJMS PTA thanks the following food trucks for participating in our school’s 2022 International Night. Affordable meal options will be available starting at $3 or $5 per item.
Q2 Taste of the Pacific uses fresh, quality ingredients to create memorable authentic Filipino American dishes, including pork or chicken BBQ, lumpia (egg rolls) and adobo bowls, as well as American classics like chicken tenders and steak-and-cheese sandwiches.
Saté Truck offers authentic Indonesian cuisine made fresh with all-natural ingredients and exotic Southeast Asian herbs, without dairy products, including chicken satay, curry dishes and more.
Kona Ice is a shaved ice truck offering 10 delicious flavors. The TJMS PTA thanks them for generously offering to donate a percentage of International Night proceeds back to the PTA to support the event this year.
The TJMS PTA thanks all those students, teachers, parents and community performers who helped make 2022 TJMS International Night a success!