Help us give our kids the best middle school experience possible! We invite all TJMS parents/guardians and faculty/staff to join us and participate in PTA activities in whatever ways work best for you.
- Ways to Stay Informed and Get Involved With the PTA
- The Value and Importance of the PTA
- Review the Bylaws
This PTA website can also be viewed in Spanish, Mongolian, Amharic or Arabic by selecting one of the following language options, which are also available in the top left area of all Arlington Public School webpages.
We invite you to stay informed and get involved in our TJMS community through PTA communications, meetings, volunteering, membership and fundraising. Here are some of the ways you can do this:
Get PTA Communications
One of the first and easiest things you can do to stay informed upon joining the TJMS community is to sign up for the PTA newsletter, join TJMS parent discussion groups on Groups.io (English) and WhatsApp (Spanish), and follow TJMS PTA on Facebook and Twitter. The TJMS PTA strives to serve the entire Jefferson community, so you don’t have to be a member to take advantage of PTA communications.
Attend PTA Meetings
During the school year, we host monthly PTA meetings to report on PTA activities and keep parents and teachers informed about what’s happening at Jefferson and within the APS system. All parents and teachers are welcome at the monthly PTA meetings, regardless of member status. You do not have to be a member of the PTA to attend meetings, but you do need to be a member to vote during the meetings. We offer monthly meetings in English with Spanish interpretation. Access PTA member meeting dates, recordings and minutes.
For Spanish speakers, learn about virtual TJ Parent Chats in Spanish and other resources for Latino parents at TJ.
Volunteer for the PTA
PTA volunteers play a crucial role in supporting annual school events like Harvest Festival in the fall, International Night in the spring, the 8th Grade Promotion Reception in June, Student Honor Roll Celebrations, Teacher/Staff Appreciation lunches, and more. We also rely on volunteers to fill our PTA Executive Board officer roles and other leadership positions.
Become a PTA Member
Though membership is not required to take advantage of most PTA benefits, we invite all Jefferson parents and teachers to join the TJMS PTA! With every new member who joins the PTA, we become a stronger, more diverse and more vibrant organization.
By contributing membership dues, you signal your support for the PTA’s work and help provide vital funding for our efforts. Suggested membership dues are $15 for families and $10 for teachers. We also offer options to waive dues or to sponsor dues for other families. A portion of your dues pays for the TJMS PTA’s annual memberships in the Arlington County, Virginia and National PTA organizations.
The PTA membership term runs from July 1 to June 30 and must be renewed annually. Please join or renew your membership today by filling out the membership form and paying dues on the TJMS PTA Square Site.
Support PTA Fundraising
Fully 100% of donations to the TJMS PTA Yellow Jacket Fund support and connect our Jefferson community by funding student events and programs, teacher/staff appreciation events, teacher grants and other potential PTA initiatives not covered by the school budget. Anyone is welcome to donate to the PTA’s Yellow Jacket Fund at any point during the year.
- Learn more about the TJMS PTA Yellow Jacket Fund.
- Make an online donation using the TJMS PTA Square Site now.
Other ways you can help raise funds for PTA events and programs all year long include:
- TJMS PTA Restaurant Nights – Enjoy a delicious meals and the restaurant will donate a percentage of your order back to the PTA to benefit our school community.
- TJMS PTA Shopping Programs – You can earn money for our school every time you shop at Harris Teeter using your VIC card, on Amazon using our Amazon Smile link, or at stores that participate in BoxTops for Education – at no additional cost to you.
The PTA fills a vital role as a lifeline connecting families with teachers and each other, creating a stronger school community. It brings value to the TJMS community by:
- Sharing important information with the entire TJMS community through regular communications
- Planning, coordinating and funding student activities
- Promoting community-building for families and teachers
- Showing appreciation of and supporting teachers and staff
- Providing community support for TJMS families in need
Being a part of the PTA also gives families:
- An opportunity to meet one another and stay in closer contact with the life of the school
- An insider’s view into school operations and county decisions that affect the school
- The chance to be an advocate for the school within the Arlington community
We hope you’ll get involved in the PTA this school year! Direct questions or feedback at any time to the TJMS PTA president.
- Approved by the TJMS PTA membership Oct. 26, 2021
- Approved by the Virginia PTA on Oct. 27, 2021