The Thomas Jefferson Middle School (TJMS) Parent Teacher Association (PTA) engages and supports students and families with a variety of programs and activities to make our school community the best it can be. We also provide volunteer hours and financial support to teachers and staff.
Every family member and teacher who participates in the PTA makes us stronger and more vibrant. We hope you’ll join us through membership, donations, volunteerism and monthly meetings. Help us provide your child with the best middle school experience possible!
- Take the TJMS PTA Fall Membership Survey – We want your input!
- How to Get Involved
- The Value and Importance of the PTA
- Review the Bylaws
Review this PTA website in Spanish, Mongolian, Amharic or Arabic by selecting one of the following options (which can also be selected in the top left area of your browser):
Last updated July 31, 2021
Take the TJMS PTA Fall Membership Survey
After a year of canceled events throughout the Arlington Public Schools system last year, your TJMS PTA is eager to help new and returning families and teachers connect with each other and bring back fun and meaningful events for our school community. As we create plans for the 2021-2022 school year, we invite the candid and honest feedback of TJMS parents/guardians and teachers to help us “build back better.”
Your opinion is important to us! Please take our Fall Membership Survey to help inform our strategic planning, improve our offerings and maximize participation in PTA programs in the coming year.
Become a PTA Member
We invite you and your family to join the TJMS PTA. Your membership dues are an important first step for funding our PTA budget and joining our TJMS community. Membership is $15 for families and $10 for teachers, and a portion of your dues pays for our membership in county, state and national PTA organizations.
Please join or renew your membership today by filling out the membership form and paying dues on the TJMS PTA Square Site.
Your family is also welcome to submit donations at any point during the school year by using the TJMS PTA Square Site – 100% of your donation will help to support our TJMS community by funding student events and programs, teacher/staff appreciation events, teacher/staff grants and other PTA initiatives. Our donation site also gives you the opportunity to make a donation to sponsor the membership of another Jefferson family or teacher.
Regardless of your membership status, we welcome your donation. If you’re already a member, feel free to skip straight to the “Make a Donation” section when making your PTA donation on the TJMS PTA Square Site.
Review all the TJMS volunteer opportunities on the Officers and Volunteer Opportunities page to see what interests you and what works for your schedule. If you’re ready to volunteer now, fill out the Volunteer Interest Form.
For parents who want to get involved right at the start of the school year, we invite you to:
- Join the Harvest Festival Committee – This popular Jefferson tradition, an outdoor fall festival for students, families and teachers, was cancelled last year, and we need your help to bring it back better than ever on Friday, Oct. 29. Learn more and volunteer for the Harvest Festival Committee.
- Run the PTA Reflections Arts Contest – We need a chair or co-chairs to plan and manage this event, as well as many volunteer judges. Learn more about the contest and sign up to volunteer.
Sign Up for PTA Communications
- Subscribe to the TJMS PTA Buzz email newsletter for PTA news, event details, deadline reminders, volunteer opportunities and more by filling out the online subscription form
- Subscribe to the TJMS PTA listserv to receive other time-sensitive PTA announcements by sending a blank email message to email@example.com
- Follow TJMS PTA on Twitter: @tjmspta
- Follow and like TJMS PTA on Facebook: @ThomasJeffersonMSPTA
- Join the Jefferson Parents private Facebook group (Note: All those requesting to join this private group must answer the required membership questions and agree to the group rules in order for join requests to be accepted by the admin.)
- The Jefferson Garden is funded in part by the PTA. Learn about the garden and sign up for garden-related communications
Attend PTA Meetings
During the school year, we host monthly meetings to report on PTA activities and keep parents informed about what’s happening at the school and in our school community. Most meetings also include a Town Hall Q&A with Principal Keisha Boggin and other TJMS staff, or guest speakers covering topics that are important to parents.
All parents are welcome at the monthly PTA meetings, regardless of member status. You do not have to be a member of the PTA to attend meetings, but you do need to be a member to vote during the meetings. Meeting minutes are shared in both English and Spanish via the listserv and the website. Visit the PTA Meeting Minutes page to view the most recent minutes.
The PTA fills a vital role as a lifeline connecting families with the school. It brings value to the TJMS community by:
- Sharing important information with parents/guardians through regular communications
- Planning, coordinating and funding student activities
- Showing appreciation of and supporting teachers and staff
- Promoting community-building among families
- Supporting families and providing needs-based funding for families in need
- Providing service opportunities
Being a part of the PTA also gives families:
- An opportunity to meet one another and stay in closer contact with the life of the school
- An insider’s view into school operations and county decisions that affect the school
- The chance to be an advocate for the school within the Arlington community