Welcome to the Monarch Team! Please read the Monarch Musing Newsletter which is attached below.
Monarch Update – Monday, March 30, 2020 – Friday, April 3, 2020
Monday, March 30, 2020
Dear Monarch Team students and families,Here is your weekly digest of upcoming events! General Reminders:
- Next week is Spring Break – there will be no update!
- We hope everyone is healthy and maintaining good social distancing!
- Students should make sure that they have turned on Canvas notifications so they can stay up to date on messages from the teachers!
- Students should download the Microsoft Team App and the Flipgrid App ASAP!
- Students should be using the Announcement and Calendar features in Canvas to make sure they are aware of what is going on in all of their classes. If they are not in school, they should check the Announcements to see what was done in class. The Calendar will let them see all due dates and it will also let them see when class meetings will be held. Students must activate the Calendar for each class!
- Summer School registration is now open!
- From Ms. Mills-Mirick – At this point in time there is nothing I can do about missing or damaged iPads. With the building closed there is nothing I can do about physical device issues. Students can access applications on any device through www.myaccess.apsva.us including a phone, a family computer, or even a sibling’s iPad. A lot of troubleshooting tips are posted on our website as a possible starting point for solving issues. Finally, sometimes just rebooting the iPad (holding the home and power buttons at the same time until the Apple logo appears) can resolve an issue. Thanks!
Here’s what’s happening in class this week:
|Message from Ms . Wall and the TJ Library:Keep ReadingIt’s important for all students to keep reading while we are all at home. Reading reduces stress, helps you sleep better, improves health, makes you smarter, develops your imagination, and is fun. We wanted to make sure that you all know the options available to students online. In the Quick Links of each of Jefferson’s grade-level TA Canvas courses, we have put a document called “Jefferson Library Online Resources (with login information).” This sheet lists, in one place, how and where to find e-books, e-audiobooks, and e-magazines that can be checked out and downloaded onto student devices. We also explain how to access online encyclopedias. Students should have the apps they need; this document should help refresh their memories. The Arlington Public Library has a bigger collection of digital books than we do. With a public library card, you can check out e-books and e-audiobooks using the Overdrive or Libby apps. I just got information that Audible has made a collection of audiobooks for kids and teens free to stream and listen to. You don’t need an account to start listening. Go to https://stories.audible.com/start-listen Battle of the BooksWe are continuing to vote to decide Jefferson’s Battle of the Books 2020 Champion. For the next 2 weeks, students will get a Canvas announcement introducing them to the books battling that day and with a link to go vote. We are at our Elite Eight now. Spring Reading ChallengeWe have also created a challenge to encourage students to keep reading. We sent out a Canvas announcement the afternoon of Thursday 3/19. Reading more will give you more chances to win. Just a reminder: The Jefferson building is closed. Please don’t worry about any books that have become overdue. Just keep them safe at home for now…we will see you and your books when school reopens. Students, please feel free to contact us by Canvas message if you have any library questions or issues.|
|English Class – Mrs. Beyers In ELA this week, we will conclude Women’s month. You will find reading and writing activities in Canvas announcements. I am sending out team messages in Canvas, so please make sure you are checking it daily.APS is working on “what’s next” for us all after Spring Break. You will have lessons/activities through Spring Break. I hope you all are keeping positive. I miss you guys and hope you are happy, healthy, and safe during this time. Please email me or message me in Canvas if you find yourself struggling during this time. I’ll do what I can to help from afar. Hang in there guys!|
|Ms. Polek’s English ClassThis week we will continue working on reading and writing skills. We will examine how to determine author’s purpose. Please, watch the Power Point with instruction before completing tasks.We will also write three journal entries to finish the week.Please, look out for information when our class will meet virtually after Spring Break.Continue to read at least 30 minutes a day.Stay safe!|
|Science – firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Science – email@example.com
|Social Studies – firstname.lastname@example.org
|Social Studies – email@example.comWe started a unit on WWI and we will continue to study how America’s role in the world changed as a result of the war.|
|Math 7 – firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Pre-Algebra 7 – email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org This week we will be working on both a combination of review material and introduction of some new content under the Geometry standard. We are doing great things and continue to move forward, while staying balanced! If you have not already done so, please create a DeltaMath account. Feel free to contact your mathematics teacher if you need assistance in setting up the account. We’ll be exploring Area and Perimeter of Composite and Irregular figures using the Grade 8 Formula Sheet and prior knowledge.Do not forget, students should be completing five DreamBox assignments per week. Also, make sure you check the assignments and announcements daily via the Canvas page.|
|Intensified Algebra – email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.orgPlease continue to be checking Canvas for any updates and announcements. Thank you to those who have reached out. Keep me post how you are doing. Delta Math assignments are posted in Canvas for review of all material covered including radicals. Keep up the good work! Miss you guys!|
As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact any teacher directly.
|Maureen Nolan||Social Studies||Maureen Nolan|
|Cameé Beyers||Language Arts||Camee.Beyers@apsva.us|
|Katarzyna Polek-Craven||Special Education||Katarzyna.Craven@apsva.us|
|Jennifer Gunderson||World Language||Jennifer.Gunderson@apsva.us|
|Jeffrey Anderson||Computer Science||Jeffrey.Anderson@apsva.us|
|Christopher Ammon||Design Technology||Chris.Ammon@apsva.us|
|Martha Byron||Special Education||Martha.Byron@apsva.us|